Gas Man Blog
Oil Boiler Service in Dorset By The Gas Man Services
Thursday 23rd May 2019
Having an oil fired boiler serviced regularly can keep it operating at its most efficient. This reduces fuel bills and saves money on costly call-out fees for unexpected breakdowns. OFTEC recommends that oil fired appliances and equipment are serviced at least once a year or as recommended by the manufacturer.
There are many reasons why the efficiency of an oil fired boiler could be reduced. Here are a few:
* Excessive smoke and partially burnt fuel deposits can cause soot to form within the boiler heat exchanger, restricting the amount of heat that can be transferred into the heating system water. The cleaner the heat exchanger, the more efficient the boiler will be
* Oil nozzles regulate how much oil passes through the burner. The nozzles are consumable items that wear over time affecting combustion and lowering boiler efficiency. If they are not replaced, they could cause "sooting up" of the heat exchanger due to too much fuel passing through the burner
* Photocells can glaze over with deposits. Photocells are an important safety feature which detect whether the boiler has lit. If a photocell is dirty it may not be able to detect the burner flame correctly and could cause the boiler to shut down randomly. Boilers frequently switching on and off will be less efficient than those running for longer periods
* Electrodes can wear and attract soot and deposits. Electrodes produce a spark to light the fuel, if they are worn or in poor condition the boiler may not light. Again, causing inconvenience, inefficiency and increasing fuel cost.
Appliances will be inspected and cleaned. Components will be replaced as required when the boiler is being serviced. If your boiler is not serviced annually, it is at higher risk of breaking down and costing you more money.
Cleaning the boiler provides a chance for the Gas Man Services to look for other tell tale signs that parts of the boiler may need replacing, and an opportunity to inspect the combustion chamber for the condition of the material and welds.
Old steel heat exchangers will often leave rust marks, which can give a warning that the boiler will soon need to be replaced. This approach can limit the possibility of water damage occurring and enables replacement work to be planned, rather than having the inconvenience of trying to arrange a boiler replacement at short notice when a heat exchanger unexpectedly fails
Long term damage can also occur if the boiler is not serviced regularly. During the combustion process, deposits will build up on the internal surfaces of the heat exchanger and the baffles which can decrease boiler efficiency. If left for a number of years, these deposits harden and with some designs of heat exchanger render it impossible to remove the baffles without destroying them. A replacement baffle will come at a significant cost on top of the routine service charge.
Gas Man services will visually inspect the oil storage tank and oil supply pipes during the service visit. The tank will be checked for water contamination, filter elements will be cleaned and/or replaced.
Have you had your oil boiler in the last 12 months?
There are a wide range of reasons why you should service your oil boiler annually.
* Avoid expensive boiler maintenance issues.
*Reduce the chance of breakdowns over winter.
* Save money on your heating bills.
* Protect your family from deadly carbon monoxide leaks.
* Make your heating oil go further.
If you haven't had your oil boiler serviced in a while and you'd like to book an appointment you can call us on 07516473023 we look forward to hearing from you.
We are Grant G1 accredited service & Installation engineers.
Common makes of boilers we are asked to service include
Grant, Firebird, HRM, Viessmann, Worcester, Worcester Bosch.
Areas we cover include
Weymouth, Portland, Easton, Fortuneswell, Southwell, Weston, Chiswell, Castletown, Wyke, Lanehouse, Chickerell, Preston, Upwey, Broadwey, Sutton Poyntz, Langton Herring, Lodmoor, Radipole, Westham, Southill, Buckland Rypers, Dorchester, Poundbury, Martinstown, Charminster, Charlton Down, Cerne Abbas, Frampton, Portesham, Abbotsbury, West Bay, Bridport, Poole, Yeovil, Bournemouth, Broadstone, Sandbanks, Canford Cliffs, Burton Bradstock, Crossways, Wool, Swanage, Broadmayne, Warmwell, Osmington, Owermoigne, Winfrith, Wareham, Corfe, Sherbourne.
Postal codes we cover
DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4, DT5, DT6, DT7, DT8, DT9, DT10, DT11, BH10, BH11, BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16,BH17, BH18, BH19, BH20, BH21, BH22, BH23, BH24, BA20, BA21, BA22, BA8, BA9